[TYPO3-typo3org] what about some typo3.org now?

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Tue Dec 1 09:55:07 CET 2009

Hi Stefano,

Am 30.11.2009 um 11:54 schrieb Stefano Cecere:

> hi everybody, expecially the TYPO3 Association
>
> i know it's an "hot" topic..
> but now that 4.3 is out, why don't give some weeks into typo3.org ?
>
> we should know that the success and use of open source projects have much to do with the good quality of their websites..
>
> we have the TER which is a disaster..
>
> and even a simple "single news page" has lots of odd things... (i attach a screenshot.. can you get the bugs? :)
>
> what do you think?
> 4.4 will be about finishing the 20% missing part.. why not work it together with typo3.org ?

We all agree on that the current typo3.org needs a curing hand and it's especially annoying that the relaunch of typo3.org, which is planned for ages now, doesn't take off even though the new design, structure etc. is already done. So why does it take so long?

The role of the TYPO3 Association is to raise funds, spend it on certain long term projects, decide on strategic goals and take care of the TYPO3 brand. New TYPO3 releases are not issued by the TYPO3 Association (as mistakably formulated in the press release) but by individual members of the community who are coordinated by another member of the community – the release manager. So the Association is only the body, a tool we can use. The actual work must be done by us, the community.

Because this model worked well for the development of TYPO3, we tried it for the typo3.org relaunch as well: we asked volunteers to take care of the various parts and made sure that this project was coordinated by one person. For various reasons the project didn't take off, even after a few tries. I truly believe that most of the people who were involved in this project really did their best and invested a lot of time to make it a success, but it didn't work out.

The alternative, to order a relaunch at some TYPO3 agency, was not an option because the Association just didn't have the budget to do so.

This situation changed after the last T3CON because Jürgen Egeling with his team at punkt.de and d.k.d managed to generate an unexpected high excess for the conference (BTW, in total they invested far more than 500 hours into the conference, free of charge). This excess now enables us to "just" buy the relaunch.

At the last steering committee / board meeting we decided that Søren Schaffstein from d.k.d will take care of this project now. As they produced the T3CON09 site which already features the new design, it was natural to assign them with the relaunch of typo3.org. So, however they do it, d.k.d. will deliver typo3.org NG with the new design and structure.

I guess that Søren will publish more details about the project by the time they start with the actual work. I expect this to be in January or February.

So, to make a long story short: If your email was pointing into the direction that you would like to help with typo3.org, please contact soeren at typo3 org to ask for your personal package.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new site become reality and I'm confident that it will happen this time.

Cheers,
robert

--
Robert Lemke