[TYPO3-typo3org] Performance

Allan Jacobsen allan.j at cobsen.dk
Tue Oct 24 00:11:14 CEST 2006

On Monday 23 October 2006 17:01, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Allan Jacobsen wrote:
> > Insert a reverse proxy (squid) in front of the webservers. This gives
better
> > performance because even if the html(php) page is dynamic, all pictures
and
> > css will be cached by the proxy.
>
> mod_expires + several settings in apache configuration will do that
> without squid (all in one process -> less memory taken). This speed ups
> both FE & FE a lot. I did patch for BE and some parts of FE plugins for
> 4.1 branch.

Whatever you do with apache each client will still spawn a server process (or
thread in case of apache2 thread mode) which gives higher memory consumption
than using squid which serves up to 1024 clients with one process. If you
recompile you can even get higher, at my daytime job we have recompiled squid
to be able to serve 4096 clients each. (We are using 10 proxyservers in a
loadbalanced setup)

Best regards
Allan Jacobsen