[TYPO3-typo3org] Useless extension inflation, part 22311

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Tue Apr 4 08:53:50 CEST 2006

Hi folks,

you possibly know my opinion about useless extensions - in fact it was the
reason why I published "nothing". However, my conclusion from that is a bit
different than some of yours.

I don't think that the amount of extensions is a problem and we can't really
keep from publishing bad extensions, extensions with Italian as the only
language etc.. What we can do is updating the coding guidelines, propagate
them and - which is the most important part - get the community rating
functions online.

So, why don't we have that yet? I'm mostly the bottleneck in this case. The
point is that I - or better what you call the TYPO3.org team - is not ready
yet for handling contributions in an effective and professional way. That's
another big topic, and I'd like to discuss it in another thread (I'll open
one for it).

Last thing: Peter, I also think that selecting multiple repositories would
be nice to have in the Extension Manager, but I don't think that it's very
clever having different public repositories. Let's stay with one. If you
enter a book store, you can virtually buy any book, no matter how bad it
is. But the store owner will show and advertise the good ones only (well,
and the ones he can earn the most money with ...).

Cheers,
robert

--
Robert Lemke
TYPO3 Association - Research & Development