[TYPO3-typo3org] Useless extension inflation, part 22311

Peter Niederlag niederlag at ikd01.de
Mon Apr 3 16:11:39 CEST 2006

Hi,

Ingo Renner schrieb:
> Am Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:05:18 +0200 schrieb Michael Scharkow:
>

>>Recommendations:
>>
>>5. Adhere to the Coding Guidelines for secure and portable code.
>>6. Don't write extensions to other extensions, don't write XCLASS-only
>>extensions and don't write yet another guestbook, news, forum or calendar.
>

> 7. Don't write extensions that do something that you can achieve with the
> given possibilities already.
> (macina_searchbox f.e. can be done with a bit of pure TS and HTML)

But the BIG problem is: many users out there that know almost nothing
about TS (and HTML) but can handle a 1-2-3 klick and install of EXT:foobar.

So actually I fear there is a demand for things like this.

Only chance IMHO:
* either put someone there to judgge for useful extensions (we don't
want that, do we?)
* set up a voting
* better/advanced categorization (snippet/example/true added functionality)
* ... ???  ...

All these shortcommings of TER have been known for a long time but no
self iginaition firework has come around yet to drastically improve it.
I think TER2/new EM/security review are already a BIG step ahead.

Once it is possible to allow multiple TERs in EM (I am trying to get
Robert and Karsten to support this) it might be a nice and easy idea to
support two different TERs: one for the really big and supported
extensions with functionality, one for the masses...(?)

remember http://wouldbenice.org is our friend. ;)

Greets,
Peter
--