[Typo3-typo3org] Fwd: http://typo3.org/extensions/ - Change Navigation & Impression

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Wed Nov 23 20:00:58 CET 2005

Robert Lemke wrote:

> We're confronted with Customer- (and an adequate ammount of internal)
> feedback that the list found unter
> 	TYPO3.org > EXTENSIONS ( Context-navigation-wise )
> which leads to
> 	http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/new/
> "URL-wise" ;-)
> basically just lists an exhaustive funny / confusing / helpful mix of
> useful / broken / ... you name it Extensions.
>
> In pretty wonderful way it reflects the vibrant community and
> community-developement-effore within and around TYPO3 ( and thus acts as a
> great marketing-tool) however also conveys the picture of a low-quality
> developement-pool where the MASS of EXTensions was choosen rather than
>  quality.

Full ack that we should seriously consider to filter extensions
appearing on the extension front-page, at least by status and review
(or, assuming that reviewing will not be done in the foreseeable future,
by number of downloads as a proxy for quality).

The fact that TYPO3
a) offers thousands of low-quality extensions
b) on the official typo3.org page (which gives the false impression that
we have anything to do with them except hosting)
c) without filtering out most of it

is seriously damaging TYPO3's image as quality software. Man, even I who
obviously knows better am regularly turned off by the extension lists as
they are now.

Only displaying stable extensions with more than a thousand downloads
and last updated within a year (or something like that) would make the
browsing and choice much easier.

Greetings,
Michael