[Typo3-typo3org] Fwd: http://typo3.org/extensions/ - Change Navigation & Impression

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Wed Nov 23 11:24:17 CET 2005

Subject: http://typo3.org/extensions/ - Change Navigation & Impression
Date: Wednesday 23 November 2005 04:28
From: Georg Kuehnberger|plan2net <gk at plan2.net>

We're confronted with Customer- (and an adequate ammount of internal)
feedback that the list found unter
	TYPO3.org > EXTENSIONS ( Context-navigation-wise )
which leads to
	http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/new/
"URL-wise" ;-)
basically just lists an exhaustive funny / confusing / helpful mix of
useful / broken / ... you name it Extensions.

In pretty wonderful way it reflects the vibrant community and
community-developement-effore within and around TYPO3 ( and thus acts as a
great marketing-tool) however also conveys the picture of a low-quality
developement-pool where the MASS of EXTensions was choosen rather than
 quality. This is the result, of to the various powers of OpenSource
 Developement, and the current liberal policy on EXT-Rep-Additions, which we
 IMHO should not change.

Anyway so here's my suggestion, which could even be realized before TER-2.0
as it seems to be only a question of navigation / Listing / Selects:

Starting from:
http://typo3.org/extensions/
the user should find the following navigation

Stable/Updated/Latest	featuring the latest max XX Stable-EXT (max XX)
Stable/Popular		featuring most popular Stable-EXT (all)
Reviewed		same as now;
Categories		same as now;
	All 		as Subpage from Categories
State			same as now (State)

- You might extend the Select from "Stable" to "Stable" & "Beta" - or
similar, or add any additions in regards to sysext .... however I guess you
get the point, which is basically following our own principle: "release
stable, release often", so:
	- Put only stable/beta EXTensions in Front of "innocent" peoples faces,
but also
	- offer access to EXTensions of other quality for those being able to
navigate at least into a page on the third level. (= which will fulfill the
communities information-requirements);

- Dont get me wrong here: I'm not recommending NOT to display any of the
latest / recent / ... updated Extensions, I'm only  requesting to change
the Navigation / Concept of Display.

- And YES - I'm aware of the concept and efforts regarding QA; we'd all
like to be able to find time / ressources to contribute, however did not so
until now.
- No the current Selection of "Reviewed" Extensions is not an option, as
for the above reason.

Thanks for reading until here;
looking forward your reply,

lg g

Georg Kühnberger

----
plan2net - opensource - consulting - implementation
A-1190 Wien, Sieveringerstr. 37
TEL   +43 1 3280063     FAX   +43 59 0107552386
MAIL  gk at plan2.net      WEB   www.plan2.net