[Typo3-typo3org] Groupware solution helping instrument

Jan-Hendrik Heuing [NF] jh at netfielders.de
Thu May 19 15:02:20 CEST 2005

> I think the key to sell this to customers is not so much about remote
> locations and such, but about monitoring, documentation and auditing of
> processes. Such team hubs are great for archiving documents, showing
> project
> plans and status reports. I don't think team hubs are suitable as an
> operative tool for the team members, except for archiving and
> documentation.
>
> That's of course a very good reason to build such an array of functions,
> it
> is just that they should always aim at providing post-factum overview.

Hmm... I think so, but this is probably because we have to cases, not
including ours ;)

> I am not in favour of Notes, it was just an example of a software that
> does
> synching well. I still believe the way to go are rich clients composed of
> plugins, such as portlets, that can be online, or client-based.

Me neither. I still think that web based is an alternative, because in a
couple of places you can not as easy as on your own workstation just install
some software. But still java-based applets you load would be no problem I
guess.

>> For this reason I do not see a different way than web based if you
>> communicate between companies. Like an extranet for clients.
> It's just not about groupware, that is what I am trying to say. It is
> about
> project documentation.
>
>> Wrong? Other ideas?
>
> I think it's essential to concentrate on DMS-connectivity, the sooner the
> better. The other bit worth looking at is creating a client interface to
> some TYPO3 extensions (like your blog plans) or using the python bridge of
> OO, or Karstens WebDAV stuff...

For now we will concentrate on web based interfaces, so that it can easily
be used on mac an windows. This for sure includes a couple of things beside
that blog extension. Webdav is generaly interesting, but this would only
give us sort of file based view of the things. We thought about implementing
webdav or the mysql-driven FS to offer documents etc. via webdav, ftp etc.,
but this is not our main goal. First of all we will set up the communication
tool box with all sorts of tools. What I would like to know is where this
discussion is heading to,  is there any common interest? What goals are
there?
At least I am interested in an extranet/intranet solution with all sorts of
tools we need,´and which are in development partly. It is not my first goal
to have some project management platform or achive, this would only be parts
of it.

> It's interested for synching calendar data, todos, adresses and such, not
> for mails and it's supported by most handhelds, like phones and such.

Sure, but then we are discussing 2 totaly different things ;)

JH