[Typo3-typo3org] Groupware solution helping instrument

Jörg-Alexander Roth mail at zeusmedia.de
Thu May 12 14:43:29 CEST 2005

Juergen Egeling schrieb:
> * Jörg-Alexander Roth <mail at zeusmedia.de> [050512 13:44]:
>>@Juergen:
>>Did you already check out the SuSe Linux OpenExchange (SLOX) solution?
>>Well, it's not completely "free" but worth the 1.500 EUR. It migrates
>
> I did not test it by now, my "idea" that I have is:
> 1.) "open" in the way that it uses standards (not *de facto* standards but
>   "real ones", where I can get other data out. (e.g. we use GS-Auftrag
>   for bookkeeping, as they now support mysql and I can get the data
>   out of it with some little scripts.
> 2.) UNIX is a must, if it supports windows, thats great, but just because
>   I think it is better designed, as they have to support two different systems
>   and could not "assume" some things, but have to test and verify them.
> 3.) Somehow integration into TYPO3, either that I can use the same authentication
>   for both systems (LDAP), etc. pp.
> 4.) *GOOD* Webinterface that supports "near all" features, because we have
>   several people working frmo home, sitting their babies. I need to integrate
>   them.
> 5.) Mail system, where I can use whatever frontend mailer, e.g. mutt/elm/
>   Windows mailer, etc. pp.

Well, there's no perfect solution - as usual you have to write it by
yourself or pay a sh*tload of money for customizing. Bummer. But if you
got the time to taker a closer look to the OS-solutions, it is the same
as with Typo3. Write own classes and functions and API's and and and to
fit to your needs. We made some smaller enhancements to vTiger to fit
with our processes.

>>all the isle-solutions of an enterprise to one system. There are of
>>course some elements missing (like a larger projectmanagement) but you
>>are able to expand the system on your own.
>
> That sounds great.

Nah. Migration sucks. In particular Windows -> *nix. :-/

>>In other "news" I'm currently planning and developing a CRM-Package for
>>Typo3. My (and others) intention is to expand or replace the Doc-Module.
>
> Is there no way to enhance tiger to get into TYPO3 with login, etc. pp.

Well, there's a lot to explain. First of all, vTiger was based in it's
early versions completely on SugarCRM (OpenSource). The Author wrote the
missing components (like project management) by himself and made a "full
version" out of it. This caused a heavy dislike with Sugar Inc. and some
sort of flamewar started in forums of vTiger. Accusations at it's best.

Go ahead an investigate a little bit about Sugar Inc.! Good people from
one of the leading CRM agencies worldwide. And see, how they got the
money! *g*

So I've got a dislike to make a boo-boo with vTiger and deliver a 32 MB
large CRM as extension or with Typo3. In fact of programming this is
also a bad idea, because Typo3 got everything needed to create a own
solution.

>>The extension-plan includes customer management, time management,
>>project management, document-management (filesys) and related components
>>from the ECM specifications (AIIM). So you will get another milestone to
>

> This is what we planned ages ago and never had time. Any ideas on
> what help you could need?

That's why I've already started with it. Don't talk - Do it. :) Help?
Erm... more hands, more time and a new employer... :-/

I think I am able to manage a large part oneself. There's of course much
input needed - especially when creating a unified API. I knew a few ERP
and PPS-Systems from our customers and XML will do the trick at frist
sight. But I think the focus should direct to SAP (Portalserver and so
on). Translations and all the other stuff can be done later.

Time consumption is the biggest problem. Even if you got a team with 3
or 4 developers. Let's see. I think I'm gonna post the whole concept in
the next 2 weeks as final for reviewing. How do I - where do I? Shall
we? Is it worth to become a official project on typo3.org?

Should this become a FE-Plugin or a Backend-Module? I've noticed a lot
of pro's and con's for both. What do you think?

Oh, and I dislike the idea of getting paid for it. This should be a
"toll-free" project for everyone. And it should be finished till late 2005.

So far...

Jörg