[Typo3-typo3org] TER2 suggestions

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Thu Aug 11 13:31:15 CEST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 13:16, Andreas Otto wrote:
> How about having the EM connect to a webservice which delivers a list of
> categories.
> The list will have a TTL and will be cached by the EM.
> The webservice will send a new list if the TTL of the cached list has
> expired.

Yes, I thought about something more general: Each x days / weeks the EM
connects to the TER webservice and asks for updates. That could be new
categories, a completely new Extension Manager version or some important
information which should be displayed in the BE.

What we need for this is an EM which is split up into two parts: One very
small core part which stays in typo3/mod/tools/em/ and another part which can
be updated like a normal extension.

Of course it would be nice to have the whole EM as an extension but imagine
questions like "How can I install the EM without having the EM installed in
the first place?"

We need a team which plans and implements the new EM - like I said already ;-)

--
Robert Lemke
TYPO3 Association - Research & Development