[Typo3-typo3org] TER 2.0 - updated concept!

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at icecrash.com
Tue Apr 26 02:16:58 CEST 2005

Hi,

first, great work and thanks for doing that.

> Please re-read the whole document [1] and give your feedback soon. In my
> eyes it is fairly complete in terms of the basic concepts and the next step
> is now to split up work into various packages we can work on the next weeks
> and months.

Few thoughts:

Install script:
Would be better to really split the that into four files. It makes sense
by the dpkg format and also here. Also it makes sense to call the
scripts with different package states, eg. Debian knows several package
states: install, removed, purged. On installation it will be checked if
it is an installation or an upgrade, so an install script could be
called with these two states. The remove or purge was also written as
idea a few postings before.

Format of t3x:
Couldn't that be just a normal zip file?
Pros: It's a standard format that could also be used in other
environments such as an IDE or by other external tools. Due the fact
that the TER uses soap as its protocol several restrictions on how to
communicate are done, so opening the way for other tools could be a chance.

Virtual extensions:
Could be that I didn't understand this full. A library package that's
packaged as an extension and is needed should be a real dependency.
If your thoughts were something like a dependency on eg. "PCRE enabled
your PHP environment" than that could be just normal dependencies.
To include that in the dependency list is a great thing.

Extension.xml:
I would take the Debian way there. Download the repository on request,
not by default (the part apt-get update). Be able to merge several
repository lists to a final internal. While this generates some "costs"
for processing, only do it on a request-by-user base.
As I posted in the past, first ideas for such a xml file. Did not get
any feedback.
http://icecrash.com/fileadmin/data/typo3org/Extension.xml
http://icecrash.com/fileadmin/data/typo3org/Extension.xml.mm

I take over the DTD-writing part if wanted.
Also providing a base url for typo3 standards would be nice.

I will publish the first draft of the next EM during 07. May (you did a
great bundle of my documentation work :)

I have to discuss that with our upcoming association but if it's ok for
them I would also offer to take over a mirror. We will be connected to a
datacenter in Frankfurt next month.

Good night,

Sven