[Typo3-typo3org] The next steps

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Tue Apr 12 18:14:54 CEST 2005

Robert Lemke wrote:

>    - documentation.typo3.org: We need a fresh concept for separating the
>      documentation section from the extension repository. That concept
>      should allow for features like automatic generation of multiple output
>      formats (online, single HTML, multiple HTML, SXW, PDF, ...), being
>      mirrorable, failsafe connection to other parts of TYPO3.org etc.

We should *really* think about changing the default format to docbook
(or something more lightweight which can be transformed into docbook)
for a number of reasons:
1. Great stable toolchain for all output formats. Have you ever tried
batch conversion of sxw2pdf? I did today, and it sucked, real bad.
2. Friendlier to people without OO (e.g. with less than a gig of RAM ;))
3. Possibility for advanced features, like version control with standard
tools (CVS, SVN)

Oowriter can create docbook now, and the 2.0 will have docbook(-like) as
a new standard format, so the switch can be smooth.

Other than that, I'd like to help here. There should not be too many
difficulties.

And, of course

+1 from me for using LDAP for users.t3.org

Greetings,
Michael