[Typo3-typo3org] Hosting the TYPO3 sites

Jan-Hendrik Heuing [NF] jh at netfielders.de
Tue Apr 12 12:34:47 CEST 2005

Performance overhead ist not an issue with Virtuozzo but with VMWare, which
we do not use.

Example VM Ware: You can run 10 virtual servers on a hardware node, and the
server is full and can not hold more. It just doesn't make sense performance
wise. The other problem is, that those virtual servers do not make use of
more than one CPU anyway.  I've seen graphs comparing 10 VMWare to >500
Virtuozzo VEs, but anyway this is made by SW-Soft, but you get the idea.

Example Virtuozzo: We are running 60 virtual servers on an old dual PIII,
which are basically small shared customers. If there are no requests, which
is sometimes the case with those small customers, the server has got a load
of 0. While there is a way of symlinks between those virtual servers (apache
binary is only available once on the system), that is also available in
memory.

SW-Soft is talking about overhead around 0.01 - 0.03% if I remember right,
but believe me, there is none ;) Virtuozzo is a totaly different story, as
it's not on kernel level, it's more an emulation of a server, which produces
a lot overhead.

If you want some more detailed info, send me a private mail, and I'll search
for some PPT.

JH

news:mailman.1.1113291569.24841.typo3-team-typo3org at lists.netfielders.de...