[Typo3-typo3org] Hosting the TYPO3 sites

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Mon Apr 11 08:28:19 CEST 2005

Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
> ...and Jan-Hendrik is not going to give that to you?

keeps me wondering also...

> What is the difference between TER 2.0 and "refactor the current TER to
> be file based"?

TER2 is this fancy mirroring solution.
I'd like to state that I first want to see if speeding up TER1 is enough
before wre need a TER2.

> OK, but in which way is the "professional and reliable hosting solution"
> different to the current hosting? Wouldn't a switch to another server
> cause even more short-term problems?

No offense, but this is a typical solution.
I get several calls each day from hosting market leaders.
So I ask myself: How many market leaders can there be for one market?
Plus:
Is there reliable information how much more "professional and reliable"
the hosting really is?
Plus I think it might get a little bit odd to some people that beneath
the sentence there is a call that NF webhosting is unprofessional or
unreliable.
I think this is unfair.
Plus I'd suggest to think about the impact that for some magical reason
hosting is moved to active members.
Get my point?

> I think Monday is a bit too early to make this desicion, what do you think?

me too.
I say that we could disable the TER for a week and tell folks to
download theiy stuff at typo3.org.
So we have a week with no new extensions - I can live with that.
And then I'd like to see how traffic and load works with the TER being
disabled.
Plus you could use the week to rebuild it to filebased without the
hassle of moving data afterwards.

--
No Subject - No Realname - No Service!
Respect the List/Newsgroup Rules!