[TYPO3-hci] amount and frequency of changes in BE

Silke Arend sa at externes-management.de
Fri Feb 4 18:42:45 CET 2011

Hi Tolleiv and Steffen,

Thank you for the responses. What I have written concerns not only the
new version 4.5, but updates in general, and especially TYPO3 v4.6 and
other new versions to come, as I have been watching the mentioned
confusing rearrangements of fields and icons already in previous versions.

And yes, we could adjust the backend. But it is not the purpose of
usability improvements that agency have to undo them for the sake of
their customers.

I was just wondering why the changes in MS Office, which are clearly a
negative example, are mentioned to defend the changes in the backend. Of
course, I also do favour improvements of usability, but this primarily
means for me no "cosmetic" changes like rearranging fields, but to
enable fast and efficient working. Instead, even when using the browser
firefox with a fast internet access (DSL 16000), loading of each new
page in the list modul for example is definitely slower that it used to
be in 4.4 or 4.1. Another example: I still get this pop-up asking me if
I want to stay logged-in but not accept this choice.

You are right in saying "It doesn't make sense to keep bad things longer
than necessarily needed", and there are also some good points about 4.5
usability changes, as for example the text in content elements is now
put together with the header again. To make my point clearer I will add
some examples of where I see changes for the worse or new or remaining
inconsistencies.

Sorry, that inevitably gets quite long:

- The rearrangement of the context menu in the pagetree: new, cut, copy
and delete are now grouped as "page actions", show, edit, info, disable
and history not, but they concern page actions as well.

- At the same time "new" and the others that force the user to wait for
a second level to appear are at least as often used as "info", which is
still on the first level. Why not leave them where they used to be, when
accessing them was faster still?

- In page properties, the fields "Hide in menu" and "Page disable" have
been removed from the tab "General". Isn't it one of the most general
points if a user can see a page or not?

- In content elements, the fields for positioning images and image size
have been put to the tab "Appearance", although there is still a tab
only for images: I don't understand why these fields have been separated
from the image field itself. Whenever I insert an image, I also have to
decide on its position and size. That has nothing to do with the
appearance of the content element in general, at least not more than the
alignment of the header (which is to be found on "General").

- Why is the column in which a content element is placed still a
"general" issue and therefore the field column still placed in the tab
"General" while fields like "Indentation and Frames" or "Top Margin" are
now a question of "Appearance"?

- TYPO3 boasts being an enterprise CMS. Why do we need so many
explanations in labels - as if it were designed for occassional users
and newbees, then? For example, the field "Alternative Labels" gives now
the explanation "one per line" - an information every editor knows if he
has looked up the context sensitive help once. Longer labels clutter the
forms in my eyes. The old approach (until 4.2) to allow the editor to
choose "Show field descriptions" gave room for even longer description
for inexpierenced users and a "cleaner" look for power users. Who
benefits from the new "one size fits all" approach here?

These are only a few points that show where things - in my eyes - got
worse or in some cases changes are just annoying without having the
benefit of an improvement.

But maybe I, and the users I talked to, are the only ones struggling
with this?

Enjoy your weekend!

Silke

-------- Original-Nachricht --------