[TYPO3-hci] RFC: "Floppy" Icons

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Tue Jan 27 11:45:14 CET 2009

Bernhard Kraft wrote:

> This is an RFC.

Hi again ...

Thank you all for your comments ...

I also searched on google and found this nice article:

<http://community.irritatedvowel.com/blogs/pete_browns_blog/archive/2008/11/18/When-Will-the-Floppy-Disk-Die-as-a-Save-Icon_3F00_.aspx>

I cite some (parts) of the postings, which I found quite interesting. As I already
wrote I did not WANT to change the icon - but simply get ideas or suggestions what
could be a good alternative. I am in no way anyhow unhappy with the floppy icon. I
have used floppies since I was 12 years old ('92) soon afterwards CDs and burned CDRs
came to the market - which on from this point really allowed to store large piles of
data.

Here the cites from above link:

... I still find it amusing when I'm in my car and someone outside of the car makes
a fist and cranks it like they are trying to winch something. I know they want me
to role my window down even though I haven't owned a car that had a manual crank
window for several years. ...
... Actuly, the concept of 'Save' is perhaps outdated. When you use Word on Windows
Mobile you don't have the ability to Save ... ok it's a very limited version, but
it is quite interesting. When you create a document, it IS persisted. The you can
create a copy or delete it. But you don't have to worry about its pesistance in a
first place ...
... But will software technology change though? Google Docs saves as you type ...
I don't know if this is right but I sure would like the floppy shape remains as
the ubiquous save icon and in the future it will become an ideogram for saving
files with no one actually knowing its ethymology.

So probably in 5 or 10 years, one doesn't have to think about saving anymore, it probably
will be possible to just shut down the computer, close the app, pull the power plug or
whatever - and everything is still fine. Probably even with unlimited undo/revoke capabilities.
So you can go from the current document back to any earlier stage/time ... This would
make the "Save" button unnecessary.

In TYPO3 the concecpt of IRRE records and other AJAX based technology already started
to introduce features similar to this - remember 2 years ago - when we had to select "NEW: Bla"
out of a select-box and save the whole page, for creating a new flexform-section element.

greets,
Bernhard