[TYPO3-hci] Extended page/record lookup "window"

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Fri Oct 24 16:28:50 CEST 2008

Hi!

The lookup box, the one that has been moved from the bottom to the upper
right, allows you to search for page and record ids.

While the page feature is available for everyone, the general record
lookup (<tablename>:<uid>) is only available for admins. The reason is
AFAIK to simplify access control.

Anyway, why do I have to enter the table name? It could be much easier
if there was a drop-down with the list of all table names. Even better
if it were the ones shown in the BE, not the "real" Mysql table names.

So, if I don't select a table and enter an id it will search in "pages".
This makes it work as before and allows for a quick general lookup if I
don't enter an id (ie number). But if I choose a table name, then the id
will be searched for in the selected table. For non-admins you may only
list tables where the user has at least the right to view the tables.
Furthermore the record, if found, must only be shown if the user has
access rights for the page the record is stored on.

It would be great if the free text search could also be restricted in
this way to look only into certain tables. For admins this easy as no
access checks are needed. For non-admins this isn't as easy, because of
the mentioned access right checks. Additionally the search should only
be performed in fields the user has access rights for.

To sum it up, it may be complicated for non-admins, but at least as a
first step it would make the life of admins easier if they could have
the table select drop-down.

Masi