[TYPO3-hci] TYPO3 4.2 blog entry

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Sun May 18 12:39:31 CEST 2008

Hello Dmitry Dulepov [typo3],

> Hi Erik!
>
> Erik Svendsen wrote:
>
>> * Tabbed menu should never be needed. Yes and no. Sometimes it's
>> correct, other times it should be possible to turn it of on BE users
>> level.
>>
> I understood every point except this one. Can you tell more? :) What
> do you mean by "tabbed menu"?

Refering to the blog from Hannes, I think he see the use of "tabbed menu"
in content elements, for instance "General | Text | Media |Access" on top
of Text w/image is a tabbed menu, making the users both a bit confused and
making need for more mouse clicks than necessary.

And if you restrict available fields for a BE-user, for instance to only
following, Header, Text, Image, Caption (to really make it simple), use of
tabbed menu isn't the most effective way writing. But another user maybe
should use more and less all the features of a content element, then scrolling
is a real problem, and the use of tabbed menu is faster than scrolling up
and down.

It's easy to see if you compare a user with a really simple settings and
a admin user, how they sees a content element like Text w/image and also
compare 4.1.6 and 4.2.0.

But I think such comparing also shows how important setting up backend users
in a correct manner is for usability. And setting it up isn't the most userfriendly
task for a newbie in the TYPO3 world.

A bit OT: I always use the method of "simple is better" when setting up editors.
I find it's easier to enhance the functionality when the user need it, than
to restrict it. It also makes the editor learn faster, and when he/her is
used to the backend they mostly understand new functionality in a easy way.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no