[TYPO3-hci] Combine page and list module into one module

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Wed May 14 11:29:43 CEST 2008

Hi!

Franz Koch wrote:
> If it's only technical, why isn't it admin-only then ;)

Because it is improperly used now for creating news and other type of records. Hopefully it will change soon. And when it change, it will not be needed by most regular users.

> It isn't. Why should every extension provide it's own way of managing
> records? This is the worst you can do and truly doesn't reflect the
> sense of a content management system. The CMS itself has to provide a
> default, easy to use way for managing records. In TYPO3 the only way to
> do this is the list module. Unless there won't be provided a better
> solution by default - this module should be enhanced to be userfriendly.

No, it is wrong. Because extension is the only one who knows how to present its records best. For example, news should not be edited like records, they should be created using wizards and modified as news not as database records. Gallery images may have graphical controls to resize or crop them or add effects. User records should be shown in a better way. For example (sorry, not in English):

Edit user: http://www.calis.lv/lietotaja-centrs/cforum/edit/571/
View user info: http://www.calis.lv/lietotaja-centrs/cforum/info/571/

We usually have it in FE and similar should be in BE. "Records" is not a user-friendly approach.

> Who said that is has to be hardcoded? Provide a TS option to configure
> it and everybody is happy.

Option already exists. You can hide unwanted tables. Read TSConfig.

> sorry - I can't agree here by any means. Only because you got used to
> something it doesn't mean that you like the way it is, nor that you
> won't be much happier if it would work in a different, better way.

I do not see it as better way. You can't remove functionality if it is used by people until you provide truly better alternative. So far you didn't.

> And it should not be implemented, just because we can. It should be done
> in terms of usability - which if I might remember you is the goal for
> the 4.x branch. And the decision whether it's useful or not should not
> be done by geek-devs. Surely devs know how to use this - but not the
> average editor - and that's the reason why there has to be done
> something. If everybody would be a geek - we wouldn't need a CMS.

This is not usability - this is limiting people without any real reason. If you do not want use List module - don't use it. Or hide tables that *you* do not want to see there. But don't tell me to go your way. I do not want.

> You said yourself in the blog entry topic, that you agree with what is
> said in the blog entry, which is about usability. So why are you that
> much against this usability improvement?

Because I do not see it as usability improvement. I see it as an attempt to do something without a real thinking of consequencies.

> How about a simple pageTS setting to restrict which db-tables are
> allowed to be seen in list module on a certain branch of the pagetree?

As I wrote, read TSConfig. It is there.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team