[TYPO3-hci] TYPO3 4.2 blog entry

Niels Fröhling niels.froehling at adsignum.com
Tue May 13 00:35:57 CEST 2008

Hy;
>> Because I don't want to fork typo3, and I prefer to have a comunity
>> participating and backupped solution.
>>
> You do not need to fork. Anyone can submit patch to TYPO3. And many members of the community already do so.

 Patches based on the release or the SVN?
> I am not in Germany as well (it took me 5 hours to travel) and I guess half of participants were not from Germany. Unless you are outside Europe, this is not really a reason ;)

 I'm really outside Europe, ca. 8000km.
>> I do what I can without forking: t3skin_adsignum/t3skin_frohling
>> The problem that you immediately face customizing the typo-GUI is the
>> missing underlying GUI-paradigma. You have to start to introduce hacks
>> for single elements that are horrible to address because they are not
>> IDd (fe.: the versioning "button", the only non-icon? why?). I often
>> wish the GUI would be as thoroughly classed and tagged (thead, tfoot,
>> caption, ...) and hierarchicaly grouped as css_styled_content.
>>

> Have you posted patches to bug tracker or change requests to core list?
 I'm starting to make my experiences with TV/dam patches and I helped
some extensions. I don't actually expect anyone would have confidence in
a patch from me per-se. So I'm working from down to up; my first full
extension should come next week.
> No?.. Then no one will put your changes to TYPO3. We have a certain policy. Anyone can get his changes into TYPO3 if they are reasonable and implemented well. Making hacks only for yourself and keeping them private does not really help to improve TYPO3 in general. Look what Steffen Kamper and others do: they already improved TYPO3 so much by posting patches to core list
 Well let's mention one of my hacks: I've put "jpegtran" after
JPEG-generation though imageMagickExec, I make them automatically
'progressive' and optimize the huffmantables (~20% less size and
progressive web-display). You think that is something reasonable? It's
just an example.

I'm going to wait untill my credibility-bar got some units accumulated. :-)
Ciao
    Nies