[TYPO3-hci] Dealing with large pagetrees: Filter, shortcut and Mount as treeroot

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Sun Mar 9 22:28:51 CET 2008

Hi Masi,

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Uschi Renziehausen schrieb:
>> Typo3 has 3 very usefull features to deal with really large pagetrees,
>> but somehow they are not accessible easily. What I would like as a
>> person that has to deal with a tree of > 1000 every day is the following:
>>
>> a) Mount as treeroot not on second level in the context menu.
>
> What do you propose? Moving the menu item up to the first level, will
> only clutter the menu up for 95% of our users with smaller trees.

Hm, not easy to answer. One would have to find out what people really
use. As for the mount as treeroot thing, I know that even really
advanced t3-users do not know about it, because it is so hidden (I know
at least one). In my opinion, that feature is very usefull also for
smaller pagetrees with some 50 to 100 pages.

Other than that I can only tell you what of those items in the context
menu I am using a lot, and those I never use.

Favorites:
* Edit page properties
* New
* Mount as treeroot
* Delete (which I do find is placed to far down)
* Hide
* Copy and Cut (if the target node is to far away for drag&drop)

Never or hardly ever used:
  * Edit (i simply click on the title)
  * Info (just found out that this is different from what I see when
Web->Info)
  * Visibility settings (always did this via Edit page properties)

So, if I had the choice, I would either move 'Info' into 'More options'
and get 'Mount as treeroot' on toplevel instead. And I would get rid of
'Edit' altogether and having 'Edit page properties' right at hand.

Prosit, Uschi