[TYPO3-hci] Visual feedback on clicks

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Thu Jun 12 17:42:11 CEST 2008

Hi Ernesto,

"Ernesto Baschny [cron IT]" <ernst at cron-it.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1213277546.26984.typo3-team-hci at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hi,
>
> since 4.2 the BE is way much slower in client side, because of the heavy
> use of JavaScript (I suppose). Clicking in Web>Page used to be almost
> "instant" in 3.8, whereas on the same machine and same client the same
> procedure now takes "seconds" to load all relevant frames, depending on
> the amount of pages on the tree (maybe this can be improved?).
>
> While I understand that we need to go on improving the usability and such
> "gimnicks" are part of the process, I would like to see more visual
> feedback on clicks I do in the backend. At least a different mouse-pointer
> (hourglass) while stuff is being processed.
>
> Currently I have to keep an eye on the browsers "waving flag" to see if I
> clicked and it is still doing something or if I just missed to click and
> it is doing nothing.
>
> There must be some kind of generic way of doing such mouse-pointer actions
> in the BE. And that generic framework should even allow the developer to
> simply add a progress bar somewhere (e.g. when I click on
> Update-Extensions in the Install-Tool it takes ages and I have no clue
> what is happening).
>
> What do you think?

well, we still work on this. Benni initiated a message-system driven by JS,
you may know it by extJS.
eg you click on "empty cache" and when it's done a Messagebox appears saying
"Cache was cleared" and disappears after some seconds.

Hold on, you will find a patch for that in next time ;-)

vg Steffen