[TYPO3-hci] Shortcut => Bookmark

Benjamin Mack mack at xnos.org
Tue Jan 29 18:13:15 CET 2008

Hey all,

here's (again) my voice to it.

=> Shortcuts as a pagetype
Could be renamed to "Internal Link" (as the other one is called
"External Link" anyway)

=> Shortcuts in the Backend
Well, to be honest, I never used the shortcuts feature in the Backend.
The old system really sucked. With the new backend.php it's finally
usable for the first time.

So, we're all talking about the second feature, the shortcuts in the
backend. Some bring similarities to the filesystem in windows, the
shortcut, some bring similarties to bookmarks / favorites in a browser.

So, shortcuts work like this:
* Icons for creating shortcuts are added at every single page of the
backend. This is done through a method in template.php.
* A list of shortcuts are in the top menu (backend.php)

Well, not to debate this whole naming issue here, I'd like to have this:
We could move the shortcuts feature to a system extension while having a
generic function "endPage" which is called at the end of every page with
a hook for adding things at the bottom of the page. The sysext would
hook in here and add the icon. The existing method in template.php would
check if there is a

This way it's way cleaner.

For the naming: I see pros and cons on both sides. If we'd break compat
things here, I'd do it the big time and do a cleanup with the system
extension solution :-) It's like removing a band-aid, it hurts once but
then we're healthy again.

So, apart from having the "it was always named like that" issue, who
likes Shortcuts more than Bookmarks on this?

... again, I'm not taking sides here. I'm glad I can finally use this
feature now as it is usable (and COULD disable it by uninstalling the
sysext ;-)).

--
greetings,
benni.