[TYPO3-hci] some wordings from BE

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Wed Nov 14 09:55:34 CET 2007

Hi,

>> maybe we should take start and stop into, because users are used to and
> it's
>> easier association
>> - Start at Date
>> - Stop at Date

I don't like the terms 'start' and 'stop' here, because start implicates
that it always has to be filled in order to display the record.
So 'hide before date' and 'hide after date' are the most self explaining
combinations for me so far.
You can use 'start' and 'stop', but then in a different context:
- start displaying at
- stop displaying at

But there, the start again implicates that it has to be filled out to
display the record.

>> i like having "date" in it so it is clear to enter a date (and no time like
>> fieldname datetime implicies)
> Well, after all the value saved in the DB is a timestamp.
> Currently you can get date + time into these fields by installing an
> extension.
> But IMHO this should be the default behaviour, since "date only" doesn't
> help very much if you want to have an item start at a given time too.

Well, 'date' is also a synonym for appointment, so it also can stand for
date-time fields. But for translations it has to be clarified. In German
'Termin' might fit as well for both.

> And maybe it would be better to combine both fields an their labels into one
> sentence:
>
> Show element between [ 04/07/07 14:30 ] and [ 04/08/07 18:30 ]

Combining them is a nice idea, but also implicates that both fields have
to be filled in order to work. I think a completely self-explanatory and
'failsafe' labeling should be our goal.

Maybe we can prefill the start date with the term 'now' and the end date
with 'infinite' - then we could use different terms for labeling and
even combine the fields like Joey suggested. The JS can check for these
values right before saving and empty the form values, so that the
default TYPO3 behavior is not altered. Shouldn't be difficult to do.

--
Greetings,
Franz