[TYPO3-hci] HCI Podcast

David Bruehlmeier typo3 at bruehlmeier.com
Mon Apr 30 21:31:52 CEST 2007

Hi Jens,

I just watched the HCI podkast and was really impressed. Once we get
there, we can all be very proud of not only a flexible product, but a
user-friendly product as well! As an 'outsider' to the HCI team, it
produced two random thoughts I would like to share with you.

The "page" tree
The focus should not just be _pages_, but any object which can be
managed in a tree. For instance the commerce extension handles articles
in a 'special' tree. For the Party Information Framework, I would like
to visualize persons and organisations in a tree, independantly from the
page tree. So the message is: the "page" tree is just a special usage of
a general tree and the design/implementation should be done in a way so
that any extension can use it.

Focus on 5.0
After viewing the presentation I was overwhelmed when thinking about
what it would mean to achieve all this. To really get a consistent look
and field, it would require rewriting a _lot_ of code and adapting tons
of extensions. Some things like the installer might be easier since it
is better modularized. But to achieve major changes, I strongly feel
that it would be best to focus on the 5.0 development. IMO usability is
not something that can be built 'on top' but something that must be
incorporated in the 'soul' of the system. It must be in the mind of the
whole team from day one. For TYPO3 5.0, that could become reality. The
HCI team should get involved with 5.0 development now that the basic
decisions are being made. When the 'Phoenix' front- and backend are
reborn, it should be a joint achievement of the HCI team and the 5.0 dev
team.

Regards,
Dave