[TYPO3-hci] Extension Manager - Usability

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Wed Apr 4 15:13:31 CEST 2007

Benjamin Mack schrieb:
> Hey,
>
> one thing that bugs me a lot in the last couple of weeks is the
> Extension Manager and its usability. As far as the HCI.pdf and the Wiki
> (I guess) it is not covered yet.
>
> As the functionality is pretty good, it does not suit the needs we have
> today anymore. I am listing a couple of the things that embarass me in
> no particular order:
>
> * I am finding myself very often confused between "Loaded Extensions"
> and "Install Extensions" since the loaded exts are shown in the other
> list as well. We could fit that all in one list.

This will not improve usability. The former list shows me exactly what IS
loaded and active, the latter what could be installed.

What's maybe missing is a lost of installed but not loaded extensions. But
generally I think this is fine as it is.

> * I almost always install "TER Update Check" extension, it would be nice
> integrate this important feature closer to the existing code.

Yep.

> * Who uses the "look up" features at the "loaded extensions" page? I
> stick to the firefox search here... ;-)

Not everyone uses Firefox.

> * One place to install new extensions ("Install new Extensions"), which
> is either from an already locally available ext, one that needs to be
> imported first or one you can upload.

Already there.

> * An always available search field for extensions that searches the key,
> the name AND the description. If it finds the exact key and the
> extension is installed, it jumps directly to the extension details to
> configure the ext. If there are multiple results, then we'll get a list
> that is similar to the existing "Import Extensions => Look up" search.

Fine.

Masi