[TYPO3-hci] user/group dir's

Andreas Rieser A.Rieser at T3site.com
Fri May 26 13:49:20 CEST 2006

Hello!

We are running many Typo3 installation's and are using the
user/group-directory-concept for our customers.

In fact that is a really fine way to take control over the things your
editors are doing. Our customer's are using the sys_actions thing to add
new editors themselves. The user directories are added automatically to
the file system - outside the webroot of course! Additionaly they can
create FTP accounts in our customer menu only by knowing the user name
without diggin' into the path structure.

If we are talking about user roles and things like that, i would suggest
to improve things about user/group dir's a bit.

- make adding user or group dir to filesystem an option in every record
of that type (simply show a check button for that - how can the delete
operation be handled?)

- add a sort of quota handling (how many webspace should be assigned to
the directory)

- what about the user role of an "file manager" - thats a person that
takes care of the user and group dir's. he is able to see all that
directories, can change the quota, etc...

- it would be a nice feature to let typo3 take care of the total site
quota. this could be solved by an entry in the install tool, but it
would be much better to solve this within the pagetree based on a
special record for that or an additional field in the root page.

OK, some people would say this is only a feature request and doesn't fit
in this newsgroup - but i've experienced that this is wrong.

At first nobody cares about the things this thread deals with  - but
when website's grow or the traffic suddenly rises customers suddenly
want to control these things.

There even was a customer with a small download site on his server
without even knowing about that. One BE user added several big files to
his working directory (added with a filemount) in the fileadmin dir,
created a download page on another webspace and did some links to that
files. In fact this did only happen, because the customer could not
handle the typo3 user/group dir thing.

So I think that we need to improve things like that.
This should be easy to manage within typo3.

-andreas