[TYPO3-hci] Backend in "Mambo"-Mode

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Thu May 25 22:47:40 CEST 2006

Hello Fabrizio,

> Hi Alex,
>
> I agree in what you are saying, but is it the right way to have an ui
> that needs to be thaught? You're right when you are saying, that
> editors need good trainers, but isn't there a way to design the ui in
> a way, that no trainers are needed at all?
>
> Do you need a trainig for opening doors? No, because it is simple.
> Just push the doorknob and pull/push the door. A doorknob is an
> example for a simple intuitive user interface that needs no trainig.

You have been taught how to use the doorknob (by your parents). If I changed
the way the doorknob worked, you maybe got problems. And what is intuitive
isn't any facit, things I find intuitive isn't necessary intuitive to others
because of both how our brains work, different culture and our mindmaps.
I have years of experience (long time ago) in using/driving different types
of agricultural and contruction machines ( and most of them are complex).
Even today I'm using maybe 10 - 20 min to drive a new machine (exept some
of the really advanced one). For other this is impossible even with days
of training.

> I'm sure that it won't be as easy to handle websites and managing
> typo3 as opening doors, but those people who have problems with the
> interface usually don't need all the features of typo3 and don't think
> of pagetrees, data records and extensions. So my approach was to have
> different views of the backend.

I agree, and therefore I always gives the editors an interface with only
what they need. But it could be better. TSConfig is the admin/developers
friend.
The pagetree is also a part who users I have tought find very intuitive.
Maybe because one thing they learn is finding files with an explorer. Data
records and extensions, i don't think I have told editors about it. A lot
of the icons most people also find easy to understand.

> A think there must be the way in having a clear and intuitive backend.
> Restricting the access to what the editors see is one point, but i
> think there are some more things to be done to create an interface
> which can be used without trainig.

Of course we should have a clear interface, and also as intuitive as possible.
The best way is to be consistent. But I don't think we ever can make any
interface that everyone can use without training. Therefore is a big part
of usability to make documentation/"helpfiles" who really help the users.

We also has to define, intuitive to whom. To an average computer user or
to a novice. The latter is maybe impossible, the first could be either. An
average computer user very often has made their mindmap of how things work.
If an intuitive interface in Typo3 makes these maps accessible they could
manage without training, if not you even need to deteach the user. I have
helped a lot of users who has got stuck when functionality in Word has changed,
because it didn't fit with their mindmaps. And this is why usability is a
really something difficult to achieve.

But to make an interface who has a fundamental good logic, and are easy to
explain and teach, should be a goal of high priority. Only one "problem",
different peoples mindmaps doesn't react in the same way at the same logic.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no