[TYPO3-hci] Backend in "Mambo"-Mode

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Thu May 25 16:02:11 CEST 2006

> I agree in what you are saying, but is it the right way to have an ui
> that needs to be thaught? You're right when you are saying, that
> editors need good trainers, but isn't there a way to design the ui in
> a way, that no trainers are needed at all?

No. ;-)

> Do you need a trainig for opening doors? No, because it is simple.
> Just push the doorknob and pull/push the door. A doorknob is an
> example for a simple intuitive user interface that needs no trainig.

But even for this "simple intuitive interface" you needed a trainer, even
though you might not remember, since it has been loooooong ago.
Usually those trainers are called "parents", and it's the quality of their
training that decides if things will be "intutitive" for you lateron.

> I'm sure that it won't be as easy to handle websites and managing
> typo3 as opening doors, but those people who have problems with the
> interface usually don't need all the features of typo3 and don't
> think of pagetrees, data records and extensions.

Why are they using a CMS then?
We are talking about Content Management here and not about creating a 1-2-3
website with 2 pages and a contact form.
If you want to use a CMS you certainly have to know those basics.
IMHO it could be very dangerous to have someone manage the content who is
not even able to understand the basic principles of such a system.
Even though it might sound harsh:
I don't think improving the usability of a CMS means you have to make it
idiotproof, since it's not up to the idiots to manage the content of a site.

> So my approach was
> to have different views of the backend.

Agreed.

> A think there must be the way in having a clear and intuitive backend.
> Restricting the access to what the editors see is one point, but i
> think there are some more things to be done to create an interface
> which can be used without trainig.

Depending on the skill level of those who are using such an interface you
will always need training.
The current interface can be used by most of the editors within 30min of
coaching. That's not too much.
So I would like to concentrate on things that might be more important than
saving these 30 minutes.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de