[TYPO3-hci] Another approach

Matteo Anceschi manceschi at arscolor.com
Thu May 25 09:05:28 CEST 2006

Cristopher,

Il 25/05/2006 1.20, Christopher ha scritto:

> I hope I don't get too badly flamed, but...
>
> I _love_ the frameset.
>
> And in my experience, it's very easy for editors to learn and adapt to.
>
> Ok, so it doesn't necessarily need to be a frameset, but if it were to
> be replaced in any way, I'd want the replacement to behave the same way
> (i.e. only refresh portions at a time).
>
> The Modules > Page Tree > Work Area paradigm is a nice implementation of
> the 'drill down' approach to information architecture; you start at most
> global level by selecting a module based on the type of work you'd like
> to do; then you move a little right and choose the location you'd like
> to work in; finally, you move over to the rightmost frame to do the
> actual work.

I also love this concept, realized with a frameset or not :)
BUT about the "frameset concept" there is a behaviour that I like very
very much and I've seen implemented only in typo3, thinking not only
about other CMS but also regarding every other product (free or
commercial) I've seen (ok, I may be wrong, obviously ;) )
It's what sometimes I call with my friends "orthogonal view" in "Modules
 > Page Tree > Work Area paradigm". I'm trying to explain.
The "Modules > Page Tree > Work Area" is not really a sequence of
logical drill down, because "Modules" talks about functionality, "Page
Tree" and "Work Area" about content (only the most of the times, but I
hope you get the idea).

So you can choose "Access" on "Modules", then a page called "MyPage";
the result, loaded in Work Area, is regarding "Access" in "Mypage". But
the marvelous come here: usually if you want to explore another feature,
for example "List", you can click "List" and then choose the page. But
in typo3, when you have already clicked on "MyPage" in the page tree,
you can only click "List" on "Modules".
Voila, in the Work Area you have the "list things" of the previously
selected page. I know that all this is done because typo3 "simply"
remember the page ID, and there's not some kind of magic, but the effect
is unique: depending on the task you have to do, you can work focusing
on a module like "Access" and selecting step by step all pages you want,
or you can focus on a single page and select step by step all
functionality in "models" you need.

I know that I've write too words for a so "simple" feature (the page
remember an ID) and perhaps a lot of you don't appreciate very much, but
this feature had "shocked" a lot of my friends, and I like it really
every day :)

JoH, I'm sorry if this is a bit/a lot OT :)

Cheers,
Matteo