[TYPO3-hci] Another approach

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Thu May 25 00:15:54 CEST 2006

Since most of the threads in this list contain lots of complaints
about current TYPO3 and the ways things can be done with it,
I will try another approach.

Based on some thoughts of Alex Heizer, that might have been undetected
by some of the readers, since they have been just a part of the "mambo"
thread
I would like to invite you to tell us, what you really like about TYPO3.

Here's a quote of his posting:

> 1. TYPO3 has one of the best interfaces, in terms of usability. Yes,
> there is a lot of stuff there to confuse new editors if an admin
> doesn't restrict what they see, but that is because of the depth of
> features TYPO3 has. Like anything else, the more stuff you have, the
> more space you need to store it if you want easy access to it when
> you need it. Since someone with less than a month of computer
> experience (a complete novice in all aspects of the word) is able to
> not only learn how to edit their site in 30 minutes of training over
> MSN Messenger, but is able to intuit how to do things he hasn't been
> shown the next day on his own, this is an indication that for someone
> interacting with the interface with no preconceptions the interface
> is intuitive and well-designed. So any UI difficulties may be assumed
> to be a result of preconceptions on the part of the user (see point
> 3, below). The UI needs to facilitate tasks, and a big button with a
> little drawing on it may not be intuitive just because it's big and
> in the middle of the page. There are hundreds of poorly-designed
> icons floating around out there, but when I have told editors "click
> on the pencil to edit an existing record", they have gone straight
> for the pencil icon each time.

Have you ever made similar experiences?
What do your clients say about TYPO3? Do they like it?
And if yes: What exactly is it they like about TYPO3?

What are your Top 10 features you would never want to miss?
What made you choose TYPO3 as a tool - besides the fact that it came for
free ;-) - and why didn't you choose another CMS?

IMHO it is better to improve the good stuff than to remove the stuff you
regard as bad.
a) because others might not have the same opinion but they can't use
features anymore if they are kicked
b) because the overall quality will rise when we start making better what is
already regarded to be good
Improving successful features will eliminate the rest automatically by
natural selection.

It's up to you now ...

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian