[TYPO3-hci] Less ways to do it...

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Wed May 24 21:44:12 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:

> I understand you. But I disagree on the list of irrelevant options.

That's what we're here for ;)

>> Why don't shortcuts have meta data?
>
> Because they *should* use the ones of the page the point to.
>
> And if you find a usage where it maes sense to have one then you'll
> realize that it makes no sense at all to have meta data for "external"
> pages.

Au contraire, since the meta data of the target is not available, the
external might just need it. Just image the menu content element of type
page+description - where do we get the description from?

>  > What's the use of a general record  storage in spacer or sysfolder or
> shortcut?
>  > Why can they be hidden?
>
> Looks like you are adding even more types. Or how would you change the
> displayed fields wizhout using flexforms (and they are no option),

Huh? We can just remove the field from the tca definition of pagetype X.

>> I think I'll just make a list of grouped properties (= tab sections)
>> and see which stuff fits to which object type.
>> The other issue is making TYPO3 more strict in what object to accept
>> in what context. It makes no sense to be able to choose a spacer as
>> general record storage, or link target, or display content from a
>> shortcut, etc. I hope you get my point...
>
> Generally, yes. But I have the impression that thing will only get
> different, not necessarily better.

I don't expect it to become really different because it just enforces
(on demand, Joey!) best practices and makes the page types (if we want
to keep the word) differ in more way than just some TCA fields.
As to the thing not getting better, that's a matter of trying out (or at
least considering). And my proposals are not researched facts, just a
collection of things that can be considered.

Greetings,
Michael