[TYPO3-hci] One night with Typo3...

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Wed May 24 15:54:16 CEST 2006

>> Another day reading through the TSref from the beginning to the end: Oh,
>> there is a property for configuration of the doctype. Keep that in mind.
>> Oh, there is property to switch the doctype. That could be interesting
>> for  the IE. Keep that in mind. Oh, there is a property for.....
>>
> Why? Why isn´t it a default that i set up my template from the very
> beginning to the bottom? Why "thinks" typo3 for me too much?
> Why do i have to *disable* things to get my stuff to work properly? You´re
> right its about understanding what other people thought but on the other
> hand i just don´t want to understand that an "open" framework adds a
> doctype by default?

Very easy: Because you need at least one doctype to be set in the HTML
output.
By setting a commonly used default TYPO3 takes care of this fact to make
sure there is at least something.
Do you know how many people outthere are working with TYPO3 without even
knowing that something like "doctype" exists?
You are experienced enough to know _which_ doctype you want, so it should be
easy for you to find out how to set it properly using TypoScript.

> Its ok to have such options in a powerful cms - but its not ok to force
> you to go through settings that are not obvious at all.

But it is OK to have certain default settings to enable the non experienced
users to use the system without many hassles.
In fact it is that easy (assuming you got TYPO3 up and running which is
certainly no task for a non experienced beginner - but there are enough
Hosters offering preinstalled TYPO3):

Make sure CSS-styled-content is enabled in the Extension Manager
Create some pages in the page tree.
Create some content elements.
Create a menu element on each page.
Create one TS template in your rootpage containing two lines:

page = PAGE
page.10 < styles.content.get

Done

This is only possible because there are tons of default settings for the
most common purposes.
After you got something like that up and running, you can take a step
further and learn how to push the right buttons to modify the default
behaviour.
The more knowledge you got the more you will notice that you don't have to
work with any default settings just by creating one extension that contains
all the stuff that makes up your personal defaults.
This includes Page TSconfig, User TSconfig, TS Setup, Constants, special
userFuncs, default setups for menus and content.
In the final phase you will even get rid of CSS-styled-content and use your
own "static template" combining the different TypoScript cObjects the way
you like it.

Set it once and for all and reuse it in every new install you have to work
with.

This is how it should be done - but this requires the will to dig into the
stuff instead of complaining about it's complexity.

Joey