[TYPO3-hci] Less ways to do it...

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Wed May 24 12:19:12 CEST 2006

JoH wrote:

> You can store records in shortcuts and external to make sure
> a) you don't lose them when switching the page type.
> b) you can switch the page type without error messages

Hm, this is all under the presumption that you could switch the page
type. With a distinct shortcut object you couldn't, problem solved ;)

> Sometimes it happens that you need a quick redirect to another page while
> working on the content of a page.
> You simply switch to "shortcut -> first subpage" edit the content and then
> switch it back to "standard".

Isn't his rather a workaround for a workflow that is suited for
workspaces (ideally, that is)?

> BTW:
> What's the use of generalRecord Storage at all?
> Did you ever try to insert two plugins depending on "General Record Storage
> Page" but using different Sysfolders?

I vaguely remember a discussion in -dev on that topic long time ago.

> IMHO it's no good idea saying: Content is only allowed on pages and records
> have to be in sysfolders.
> I often use a sysfolder to store content elements that should never show
> when someone enters the id of the folder.
> These elements are used with "Insert Records" an a lot of different pages
> then.

Sounds like a hidden standard page would just do that. Since hidden
obviously means hidden in the FE.

> No - since this is just your personal definition of what "makes sense".
> IMHO we should leave that decision to the admins.

Joey, I'm not talking about removing features, just sensible defaults. I
think we both agree that a well-configured backend is possible today,
but only few people ever see that. We need a better UI for
*unconfigured* BE and that's one purpose of this whole project, isn't
it? Otherwise we can stop now because around 95% of all proposals in
this newsgroup are possible already if you have Jo Hasenau maintaining
your BE ;)

> This strictness hurts flexibility if it can't be disabled/enabled by admin
> users.
> It's not up to us to decide what others might want.

Most users want to get their tasks done and not configure their tools
for a week before they can actually do something productive.

> What I would like is a configuration interface where you can set allowed
> elements for different page types.
> This would serve both of us very well, since it could be even more strict to
> say:
> The only element type allowed in this sysfolder is a news record!
> We already got something similar for users and groups to allow editing of
> different tables, so why not have the same thing for page types?

Ack, we even have that already in with the (ill-named) "contains plugin"
setting, although I don't see that it changes much except the icon...

Cheers,
Michael