[TYPO3-hci] Less ways to do it...

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Wed May 24 09:37:47 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow schrieb:
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
>> But why remove external and shortcut? At least the former is clearly
>> distinct from other page types.
>

> Isn't external just a shortcut to outside the page tree?

No, they are handled differently. "external" results in a full URL within a
menu/link. But a shortcut isn't a redirect but more like a
show-content-from-page plus a change of the rootline.

> I've never used
> it, but I wonder why we can't treat it as a shortcut, and have a
> shortcut tab where you can set the target and some options, etc.

It's technicall different and IMHO it is not easier for the user if she has
more options for "shortcut" rather than two clearly understandable page types.

>> I don't think that mount-points should be merged into another page type.
>
> What's the point of mount points? Isn't it just a shortcut of sorts...

No. They work like the mount command of Unix. The mounted tree branch will
appear (with a corrected rootline!) "mgaically" in it's mount point.

I rarely used it, but it's powerful and it makes no sense to merge it.

Of course we could still have only one page type, but then we had a number
of other flags and properties that the user must look for and the code must
check. Page types aren't that bad.

Masi