[TYPO3-hci] TS editor

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Fri May 19 09:03:49 CEST 2006

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I dream about TS editor that looks like Java (and to some extent PHP)
> editor in Eclipse: syntax highlighting, autocomplete, syntax check,
> suggestions. But I afraid this is not possible without involving Java,
> which will make TS editor very heavy.

I rather think that if a programming language sucks so much that you
can't properly edit without an IDE, than you should rather think about
the language...

Seriously, I think TS itself simply needs more cleanup and consistency,
so that you can keep the properties in your mind without relying too
much on an IDE. The usability lies in making simple things simple and
not in hiding complexity in yet another wrapper...

Apart from that fact, the technical implementation is most likely to
suck, no matter if you use JAVA applets or Flash.

A more viable alternative seems to be a debugger for TS which can be
triggered e.g. by an AJAX call and gives feedback when saving, much
easier to implement and it solves the problem.