[TYPO3-hci] a newcomer's introduction and TSref

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Jun 26 14:21:22 CEST 2006

Silke Arend schrieb am 26.06.2006 13:51:

> Is it just because I don't know Typo3 well enough yet, or why should
> one not use Typo3 itself for the TSref?
>
> The need of extension programming is obvious. On the other hand, I
> would need that for my organization system anyways. And  it would be
> a prominent example of what you can do with Typo3 - instead of using
> a different software and thereby stating, Typo3 is not capable of
> handling this task or at least for this purpose it is not the first
> choice.
>
> Please, help me to understand the problem with using Typo3 here.

Online documentation is using TYPO3 already: It extracts the information
from an external source (the OpenOffice documentation) and "integrates"
it into TYPO3 in form of plugins. I think this shows different strong
points of TYPO3: extendability and no limits in input formats: you just
have to create some plugins, as the typo3.org people did it.

The use of OpenOffice makes it very easy for extension authors to
document their extensions (or create tutorials, etc), because its is
freely available and is not dependent on any other database or system.

The other alternative that you seem to suggest is to have all
documentation content being maintained as TYPO3-content elements and
then use that database information to construct other output (PDF, etc)
on demand.

Although I think this should be possible, its a complete different way
of doing it and would require a huge amount of code to get it working,
which I don't think we are capable of bringing up right now. For such
tasks we usually have to wait for some "standing by" hero that just goes
ahead and "does it". :)

Cheers,
Ernesto