[TYPO3-hci] a newcomer's introduction and TSref

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Jun 26 11:56:35 CEST 2006

Silke Arend schrieb am 24.06.2006 22:22:

> I don't want to go into details too much, before I know your opinion on that.
> But here are a few aspects I would like to suggest:
> (...)

Sounds very interesting and promising, Silke. I like it!

But it also sounds like a lot of work, and also some extension
programming on the typo3.org part.

Also keep in mind that current version of TSref is just a online version
of an OpenOffice document, just as any other documentation in TYPO3. So
everything that you improve in TSref will also affect and might be used
on ALL documents that you can read on typo3.org (even all extension
documentation). So while this sounds a great idea, you have to cope with
the limitations of the OpenOffice format, which is layouted as HTML by
some extensions at typo3.org.

> links: all "keywords" (objects, properties...) are displayed as links -
> leading to the definition and basic description of the term
>
> colours and symbols: display objects, properties, functions etc.
> each in a specific colour and add a specific letter, each time they
> are mentionend (the latter to allow for specific search and for
> further use in terms of accessibility)
> (...)

I think there had been some discussions of moving from OpenOffice to
DocBook format, but I don't know the progress of that. But I also think
there is a need to improve the current formatting possibilities. For
example, one thing in my eyes would be to drop the "property tables" as
they are very inflexible in formatting for online AND for print. I would
just use normal heading and indented paragraph for a list of properties.

Cheers,
Ernesto