[TYPO3-hci] Concentrate on the editors 2: RTE improvements

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Fri Jun 23 09:37:11 CEST 2006

Uschi Renziehausen schrieb:

> So the major objective would be:
> Optimize rtehtmlarea for what it is used for: producing nice html-code
> without having to code!
>
> I know this is not the right place for RTE feature requests, but I put
> down some details here in order to clarify what I mean and to find out,
> what others think of these ideas.

Interesting feature request, but probably not the needs of the mainstream
users.

> 1) Direct access to all common block elements via paragraph selector list
> - Make it easy for authors to add <div> (we could call it 'Box' on the
> surface)

How is this different from hitting return? "return" => DIV/P (depending on
setup), "shift return" => BR. I don't see any value in "adding DIV".

> - Make it easy for authors to add <blockquote> (we could call it
> 'Quotation block')

But only you don't misuse i as "indent". AFAIK there is already a request
for supporting better cites (blockquote, q elements and cite atribute).

> Currently it is only possible to hide items of the paragraphs selector
> box, you cannot add to them.

Yep, that's missing.

> 2) Do not abuse blockquote for indentation
> Currently increasing indent is done by wrapping the element in question
> by a blockquote.

Is this till done in HTMLarea? Anyway, I recall that the underlying APIs of
IE and Mozilla/Firefox add the blockquote when asked for indenting :-(

> 3) Direct access to more inline elements:
> Currently only the following inline elements can be accessed directly:
>     <b> - remapped to <strong>
>     <i> - remapped to <em>

Only if you set up the remapping.

Normally not a problem. Except when you want to add oter attributes. Is
this what you want?

> My approach would be:
> A select list like the one for block elements. What is in there by
> default should be configurable (addItem, removeItem). By default one
> could imagine:
>
> q - Quotation inline
> cite - Citation (do not know whether this is correct english)

[ No, "cite" means "Zitat" and is no abbreviation. ]

> samp - Example
> dfn - Definition
> span - Span
> var -  Variable
> code - Code
> kbd - Keyboard

Could simply be added to the current list (Paragraph, H1 .. H6).

> Also, the selector box for inline classes should react in a similar way
> as for classesParagraph, means: when my cursor is inside a dfn, the
> class should be applied to the dfn-element.

I don't understand.

> 4) Direct access to important attributes
> - lang (accessibility issue!)
> - title
> - id

Have a look at the bug tracker. This has IMHO already been filed.

> 5) Save several klicks for the table editor
>
> 5.1) The create tables dialogue
> - if classesTable is defined, let users choose them on creation of table
> - three options concerning thead/th/scope
>   * make first row thead (all cell types automatically set to th and
> scope to col)
>   * make first col th (all cell types automatically set to th and scope
> to row)
>   * make first row thead and first col th (all cell types of first row
> th/scope=col, all cells of the first default to th/scope=row with the
> exeption of the first one in the first row)
> - add the caption and summary fields

Nice idea. But don't forget to add a "turn all TDs of this row/column to
THs" (and vice versa).

> 5.2) The row properties dialogue
> In the row properties dialogue I can choose whether the row shall become
> part of thead, tbody or tfoot.
> So if I choose thead, the cells should be turned into th/scope=col
> automatically. Otherwise I need as many clicks as I have cells in that
> row + choosing the right scope.

No. Just because I want a cell to be in thead that doesn't mean I want a
th. So a checkbox should make this conversion optional.

I'd start adding the issues (separately!) into the bugtracker instead of
putting it on the wiki. Ok, everything execpt the definition list thingy. I
think this needs to be refined a bit.

Masi