[TYPO3-hci] Configuring TYPO3

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Jun 14 11:31:43 CEST 2006

Uschi Renziehausen schrieb am 14.06.2006 09:58:

>> You're completly right. The wording is confusing, and I like your idea
>> of calling it frontend config and backend config.
>
> I tried to analyse the ways of my brain.
>
> - I want to influence the appearance of my PAGE in the frontend.
> - I have to CONFIGURE (predicate) my PAGE (direct object!)
>     - for the BE (indirect object 1)
>     - for the FE (indirect object 2)
>
> Now, if the basic task I have to perform is to configure my page, why is
> it, that I have to go to page properties in order to do so for BE, and
> to Web->Template, if want to do it for the FE?
>
> So from that point of view, Page TSConfig is in the wrong place, and if
> it was up to me, I would put it under Web->Template, which then would be
> divided into two sections:
>
> Frontend Configuration
> Backend Configuration
>
> This way it would become quite clear
> 1) that you have to do both
> 2) where what is done
>
> It would be interesting to know the reason for putting it under page
> properties in the first place. Perhaps I was putting 'INTERNALLY' into
> capital letters, because I suspected technical reasons. Anyway, as I
> told you, I am a newbie.

I think there are technical reasons, its because its very easy in a
BE-module to get the current PageTS configuration based on the currently
selected page in the hierarchy: just scan the (already loaded) rootline.

Other than "FE-Configuration" and "BE-Configuration" there are several
settings that might apply to BOTH sides (BE and FE). And there are also
extension setup that is done in the extension manager and currently is
"global" for the whole site. I think this is awkward and non intuitive.

How many times we have seen people (or even ourselves) put TS-setup into
PageTS or vice-versa or even in both places because they don't know
which one does what?

My dream would be to stick with TypoScript, enhance it, but then have
just ONE TypoScript "setup" that configures BE, FE and Extensions and a
single API to access it (be it in a BE-module or for FE-rendering). The
most flexible way to configure stuff in TYPO3 is the current
TS-Setup/Constants way, which is why I would use that for all purposes.

Comments?

Cheers,
Ernesto