[TYPO3-hci] "Places Containing TypoScript" (PCT)

Irene Höppner ih at abezet.de
Mon Jun 12 15:06:00 CEST 2006

>>  sure it is necessary. On one hand we talk about the way form the
>> backendform to the database and about the rendering and behaviour of
>> the backendform and on the other hand we talk about the way from the
>> database to the HTML-Output for the frontend. That's what makes a
>> Content Management System a Content Management System ;-).
>
> That is what makes up a CMS INTERNALLY.

Yes, sure internally. And TypoScript and TSConfig are used to make this
"internal working" doing what you need...
What do you mean by highighting the word "internally"?

>> What i find confusing is, if we talk in both times about TypoScript. We
>> should say TypoScript and TSConfig. That makes it more clear i guess.
>
> This does not make things more translucent. This is a wording problem.
> In my eyes TypoScript is the name of the language we are using for the
> Page Template Section and the Page Config Section. Perhaps we could call
> the other two Page Frontend Config and the other Page BE-Config.

You're completly right. The wording is confusing, and I like your idea of
calling it frontend config and backend config.

What is also hard to understand is, that TypoScript and TSConfig have
nothing in common except for the syntax.
Thinking... If it would not be TypoScript/TSConfig but XML for example
there would be two completly different shemas or DTDs.
Ppl would maybe call it the BE-DTD and the FE-DTD and wouldn't think about
putting them together because they would know that's it's not the same
just because both is XML.

So, I guess, one very important part of increasing the usability of
TypoScript & Co. is to check the wording and the documentation.

>> There is only one common ground between TS and TSConfig: the Syntax.
>> Maybe in some documentations it should be made more clear that TS and
>> TSConfig are different things, even if they have the same syntax.
>>>
>>> Plus: if the TS of the page properties is meant for BE configuration,
>>> why does an extension template (FE, correct?) have a field called
>>> "Backend Editor Configuration"?
>
>> Did you ever read the context sensitive help to this field? ;-). It
>> says: "Editor Configuration for the stylesheet editor extension."
>> So: It has nothing to do with TSConfig, probably nor with Typoscript
>> ;-).
>
> A wording problem again. Perhaps the title of the field could be changed
> to "Stylesheet Editor Configuration"?

+1

Greets: Irene