[TYPO3-hci] Remote Usability Testing

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Fri Jun 9 11:06:45 CEST 2006

Following up on Andreas Balzers suggestion to use UltraVNC:

Yesterday, I tried UltraVNC SC. Its an application very useful for
helpdesk situations. You send a small <200kb file by email to
someone, they execute it (windows only) and automatically connects to
a predefined internet IP address (your machine!) where you have a VNC
viewer in "listen mode".

Here are my findings:

VNC viewer: I succeeded in using UltraVNCs own viewer in listen mode
(on windows) but couldn't get the mac VNC client "Chicken of the
VNC" (hey, someone chose a worse name than TYPO3!!) to work (even
though it has a "listen" mode). This means:
- Using a windows machine for recording the test will work if
Camtasia can capture the UltraVNC viewers screen including a) the
microphone input and b) sound out (assuming skype is used for
conversation)
- Using a mac-machine for recording will work if
	a) preferably "Chicken of the VNC" is bugfixed to work with UltraVNC
SC (could someone work on that!?)
	b) running windows on the mac in a virtual machine (possible with
"Parallels" on Intel Macs, possibly other solutions)
	In both cases it is assumed that SnapZ Pro is used to capture the
movie. That capture application is capable of recording both screen,
mic in, sound out all at once (although I had strange problems with
sound out on my intel mac...?)

However, there remains a very critical problem after testing this,
one I didn't foresee: You cannot see the cursor on the remote machine
move! This seems to be a general feature of a VNC server - that it
only accepts incoming keyboard and mouse movements but doesn't
transmit other than the screen from the server! This has to be fixed
somehow for this technique to be useful. We will need a VNC wizard to
help us here.

Conclusion: Remote usability tests using skype (conversation) and VNC
technology like UltraVNC SC (screen capture) is highly potential if
only the mouse movements from the VNC server (where the test person
sits) is transmitted. Is that possible at all?

Bring out the VNC gimps now!

- kasper

"A contribution a day keeps the fork away"