[TYPO3-hci] Documenting Typoscript

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Thu Jun 8 21:48:13 CEST 2006

>> In the list for the Extension Coordination Team, we've been having a
>> little discussion on inline documentation for Typoscript.  Kasper
>> suggested we move the discussion here as a usablity improvement for
>> developers in 4.5.....
>
> If we are going to document TS, I have one request that comes before
> anything else I can think of:
>
> *ALPHABETICAL ORDER* in property tables!
>
> An order like this (GIFBUILDER properties):
>
> 1,2,3,4...
> XY
> format
> reduceColors
> transparentBackground
> transparentColor
> quality
> backColor
> offset
> workArea
> maxWidth
> maxHeight
>
> ...is insane.

Well, maybe you should reconsider this statement, especially regarding
things like stdWrap properties.
Usually things are "executed" in the order of their appearance in the TSref.
This is why you can't do something like this:

10.dataWrap = 1+1
10.prioriCalc = intval

prioriCalc is "executed" before dataWrap, so you won't get the expected
result here.

Regarding the GIFBUILDER properties I think it is a good choice to sort them
by importance and not alphabetically.
You will use things like XY and format quite often, while maxWidth and
maxHeight are used more seldomly.

Maybe it would be a better idea to have an alphabetical index listing all
the different properties with links to the corresponding sections.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de