[TYPO3-hci] Less ways to do it...

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Thu Jun 8 13:21:25 CEST 2006

Lars Thalheim wrote:
> Standard page & Advanced page
>
> I would suggest to remove the "Standard" page in favor of the
> "Advanced" page. Isn't the standard page just a subset of the
> advanced page? In this case I would rather disable certain unused
> (unusable !) settings of the advanced page for specific users.

+1

> Shortcut page
>
> The pagemodule should display a "Shortcut" page just as a shortcut.
> The current pagemodule (TV pagemodule) does this in a limited way
> already. It shows a message, that this page is a shortcut including a
> link to the linked page. Better would be to deaktivate the
> possibility to add content records to this page type.

-1
Reason:
In 4.0 we've got "contentslide".
You can add content to a parent page and it can be shown on any subpage
level belonging to this page.
So you can create a shortcut page pointing to its first subpage.
The shortcut page itself contains the stuff for the right column of all it's
subpages.
The subpages contain the stuff for the normal column only.

> Sysfolder page
>
> The page module should display something similiar to the List view
> here, instead of the normal Page view. Finally this page type doesn't
> normally store content elements, does it?

Yes it does. And even if it would use the listview it would not hurt to have
CEs there since the listview can handle records and CEs.
A sysfolder page is very useful as a container for CEs you want to use in
other places via TS RECORDs or the Insert Record Element.
By putting them into a sysfolder you can ensure that nobody will ever call
that page seeing all the content at once.
There has been the idea to solve this problem with a hidden page, but
semantically this is even more confusing than sysfolder.

Maybe the name "sysfolder" is a bit misleading, since after all it's just a
container for different things that should not be displayed as a page
itself.

> Not in Menu page
>
> I never understood the difference between this page type and the page
> property "not in menu" (advanced page). This page type could be
> removed in my opinion.

But only if the property "Not in menu" is visible in the page tree.
It would be really annoying if pages don't show up in the menu and you have
to find out, if the checkbox is set or not by editing each page header.
Usually I prefer setting it as a page type. I used the checkbox only for
cases where I had to temporarily remove a page from the menu because I was
to lasy to use versioning.
So when the state "not in menu" is still clearly marked with a different
icon, it should be no problem to remove the page type and use the checkbox
only.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de