[TYPO3-hci] automatic update extension

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Wed Jun 7 12:33:49 CEST 2006

JoH wrote:

> Better example:
> apt-get upgrade ;-)

But this is still explicitly triggered by the admin.

I see two serious drawbacks to an automated upgrade:

1. If something fails, the site will be broken and we'll finally have
the situation that users can rightfully state "I did not change anything
but the installation is b0rked". This may be okay for Windows users who
are accustomed to things suddenly being broken without them doing
anything but it's very bad for reasonable web masters. It makes
debugging extremely hard and will lead to more strange support requests.

2. Technically, you cannot control these timed uprades with TYPO3
because it's not running continously like cron, so you either have to
use an external cronjob or add a hook to the FE that periodically checks
for new extensions whenever a page is requested.

Cheers,
Michael