[TYPO3-hci] "Places Containing TypoScript" (PCT)

Irene Höppner ih at abezet.de
Thu Jun 1 16:51:43 CEST 2006

> Ah! Interesting point. I still ask: is it necessary to make this
> distinction? And if it *is* necessary, shouldn't it be made much more
> clear visually?

sure it is necessary. On one hand we talk about the way form the
backendform to the database and about the rendering and behaviour of the
backendform and on the other hand we talk about the way from the database
to the HTML-Output for the frontend. That's what makes a Content
Management System a Content Management System ;-).

What i find confusing is, if we talk in both times about TypoScript. We
should say TypoScript and TSConfig. That makes it more clear i guess.

There is only one common ground between TS and TSConfig: the Syntax. Maybe
in some documentations it should be made more clear that TS and TSConfig
are different things, even if they have the same syntax.

> Plus: if the TS of the page properties is meant for BE configuration,
> why does an extension template (FE, correct?) have a field called
> "Backend Editor Configuration"?

Did you ever read the context sensitive help to this field? ;-). It says:
"Editor Configuration for the stylesheet editor extension."
So: It has nothing to do with TSConfig, probably nor with Typoscript ;-).

> TS is a great idea but to have so many different places where you can
> put it IS NOT.

As far as i know there are only these places to put TypoScript:
1. Template Datasets in the database (for dependencies of the pagetree)
2. Text files in Extensions (to encapsulate the whole extension - even its
configuration - a great conzept)

And these places to put TSConfig:
1. page for pagetree-dependend TSConfig
2. be-usergroup for user-dependend TSConfig (more than one user with one
TSConfig)
3. be-user for user-dependend TSConfig (this user only)
4. text files in Extensions (see above for the reasons)

There is a difference if TSConfig depends on the pagetree or on the user.
How do you want to add different adminPanel-Configurations to different
user(groups), if you have pageTSconfig only? And how do you want to remove
a field option in one part of the tree, if you have userTSConfig only?

Greets: Irene

--
Irene Höppner
A.BE.ZET GmbH i.G.