[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Waldemar Kornewald wkornew at gmx.net
Mon Jul 31 21:01:25 CEST 2006

On 7/31/06, Tapio Markula <tapio.markula at dnainternet.net> wrote:
> > This is not a big problem, is it? I could break HTML or wiki tags in
> > any other system
>
> if you have [news] how you would configure it?

For example:
[news:item_count=5:mode=summary]

> 1) Adminstartor could have any possibilities to control,
> what users can put, if they use markers - users needs just to know
> available markers and then they could put anything to any place
> - also places, where should not be any content

But this is restricted to the page level, not the skin level. I.e.:
you can't remove the navbar if it's not part of the page. Also, the
system could check which markers existed before and disallow removing
and adding markers.
Another possibility is to have a more powerful editor which is *only*
WYSIWYG and which can make some parts of your page non-editable for
some users, etc.. Yes, that's a lot of work, but a powerful editor
like a word processor or DTP app could be implemented (of course we
don't need all those word processor features, this was an example, so
you know what I was imagining).

Alternatively (as a short-term solution), you could still split the
page into a layout (with a nice visual table editor) and then put
WYSIWYG content into each individual cell or choose to add a module
into that place, instead. At least, with a nice table editor this
would not be as unintuitive as with records. The number of different
record types should be kept as low as possible:
* text (WYSIWYG)
* module
That should be all. Anything else can be implemented with modules.
By default, every cell is of type text and the default page has only
one big cell, so you can get started immediately. Buttons should only
be shown for the cell that the mouse is currently over.
The skin itself is a layout, too, so you can show the navbar on every
page or override the default layout by choosing from a list of other
layouts or defining your new layout in-place.

> 2) If all is in a one content record users could *totally* destroy
> the template - including navigations, if navigations is among contents
> (for example in the middle and left). Layout designers loose the whole
> control!

Normally, content like the navbar is not part of your pages, but
belongs to the skin or main layout.

> 3) Impossible to configure individual plugins (generic configuration and
> page level possible but not for indidividual plugins).

In my suggested scheme it's possible. Skeletonz and MODx do it that way.

> All content ina page in one WYSIWYG are is just impossible idea.

I disagree. It might be a lot of work to get right, but it would be
the best usability experience. Well, it's a V6.0 task, but this has to
be planned a long time in advance because of the task's size.
>From now on, I will try to mostly concentrate on V4.5 stuff (like the
layout table editor). Maybe I get misunderstood otherwise...

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald