[TYPO3-hci] Typoscript "Code-Editor"

David Toshack david at vaultin.com
Wed Jul 19 10:35:24 CEST 2006

Bernhard Kraft wrote:
> Mark Stephenson wrote:
>
>> 1. Basic language-sensitive editor like you show here that colors-codes
>> the text and catches the syntax errors common to all typoscript. This
>> would be very beneficial right now.
>>
>> 2. Language-sensitive editor that reads typescript script specifications
>> from the core and from installed extensions. The editor dynamically
>> evaluates the full syntax and highlights the text accordingly. It shows
>> every syntax error. As Kasper (and perhaps others) suggest, this
>> requires a mechanism to define the typoscript syntax within the core and
>> within each extension.
>
> I updated the TS Code Editor.
>
> It now contains additionally about 2500 lines of code where most of them are a huge
> PHP array which defines TypoScript.
>
> Currently only the core-functions are implemented but this is already a lot. Have a
> look at a screenshot at:
>
> http://think-open.org/kraftb/index/TSEdit2.png
>
> And you can download it from:
>
> http://think-open.org/kraftb/index/T3X_kb_tsedit_htmlarea-0_0_0.t3x
>

>> 3. A system configuration tool that eliminates the need to enter or even
>> see the actual typoscript (although you could always toggle to #2 if you
>> prefer). This tool would write 100% correct typoscript and
>> administrators would be provided with a series of dynamically-created
>> menus and forms and wizards that give access to all the functionality of
>> typoscript.
>
> Such a thing already exists. The Web >Template > TypoScript Object browser - using this tool you can set
> specific TS values.
>
> But for writing larger TS snippets it's rather a pain.
>

>> In our experience working with many administrators of TYPO3, the biggest
>> challenge is configuring their website via typoscript. So having #3
>> would be of great value. By the way, this editor should also take over
>> the constant editor functions.
>
> In my experience only those editors have problems with TypoScript which are not
> that good in TYPO3 :)
>
> It is like with every "language" you learn. The more you train it the better you get.
>
> You will surely not say that you learned English (or any other alternative language), or PHP
> in such a fast time as TypoScript. Which means TypoScript is quite easy.

I agree with you Bernhard, 100%. But I think the point here is to enable
end users to make modifications without even knowing what typoscript is.
Similar to the way flexforms work. I'm not suggesting _everything_ could
be done this way, maybe the flexform type operations could be configured
especially in TCA.

> But after years of using TypoScript you will still find new ways of utilizing it.
>
> I think the complexity which is given to us by TypoScript enables one to build powerfull
> web-apps even without touching PHP.

Absolutely. I would also like to stick with the ability of editing
TypoScript in its natural form. Just wanted to stress the point of end
user access to what typoscript has to offer, or what typoscript has the
potential to offer.

Cheers,
David