[TYPO3-hci] Concentrate on the editors 2: RTE improvements

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Wed Jul 12 19:48:07 CEST 2006

Hi Boris and Masi, and, of course the rest,

I really would like to have this multiple class support as well. But I
am very short of time currently, so I cannot find the leasure to develop
ideas how the GUI for this feature should look like so that it is really
user friendly.

Let us say, we do have to select lists, one for block elements, the
other one for inline elements, and they are displayed in one row. What
about two radios, one for add class , one for replace. Perhaps we then
even need a third one for remove! Or another select-list for that.

The radios (or the select list) would have to interact with both the
block the classesParagraph and the classesText (cannot remember the
right key right now) selector.

And then there is another issue. Currently you see ALL classes defined
for ANY of the block elements, regardless in which block element your
cursor is. Say, in your css, you have defined in a class exclusively for
h3, e.g. h3.foo {...}, you will see it, even if your cursor is not at
all inside a h3 but inside p or div. How would you like to visualize
this to the user? Serious question!

This becomes even more difficult, when block elements are nested, e.g.
have been told by a friend of mine that in some WYSIWYG-editors this is
handeled by using the path in the 'status bar' of the editor. If you see
the DOM path html ->body -> blockquote -> p and want to apply styling to
blockquote, you select it there and then you select one of the style
allowed for blockquote. But this, of course, you can only do, if you
know, what blockquote is! Means that you have to know HTML. Any ideas?

Perhaps we should discuss this in the wiki? See
http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Usability_-_RTE

Ciao, Uschi