[TYPO3-hci] The Constant Triptichon

David Toshack david at vaultin.com
Thu Jul 6 00:51:33 CEST 2006

Alex Heizer wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> My apologies. You had responded to my email which was about something
> else, and I didn't realise you had changed the thread to be about
> context. I understand the concepts and agree that it's important for
> people to be able to relate things within the context of the environment
> in which they are working.
>
> However, my point was only about why TV or TV-like context changes
> should not be incorporated into the core, effectively changing the
> current BE environment.
>
> I also appreciate your passion on the subject and everyone's enthusiasm
> to discuss ideas to help move T3 forward. Otherwise, where's the
> community? It would just get stale and boring. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Alex

Hi Alex,

I also apologise, rereading my post I think I came across a little
harsh. I also apologize for hijacking your thread, it was not my
intention to deviate so much to prove a point. I counted the word
"context" in that post, and seems I typed it 32 times!  lol

The reason for the context overload though, was to make it clear that it
is a HCI concept, and one that software developers _need_ to take
advantage of if they are to create intuitive software. Which is why I
think the FE and TemplaVoila views should be merged to some degree.
Rather than having two separate editing environments I would prefer to
see one model and controller, with different views; eg. improved FE
editing vs. TemplaVoila style correctly positioned boxes. Maybe even an
old school Page module for Alex! :-P ... sorry, couldn't resist that one.

This of course doesn't concern the list module at all. The list/search
module is a separate issue with fairly common controllers but quite
different models and context must be assigned via some sort of reference
rather than position on the page. Maybe list/search features could be
referenced from each context position, as in news items of a news
plugin, but should still be treated somewhat separately.

What does everybody think of this concept? Am I too far out in left
field? Does this deserve a new thread for discussion? I am very
interested in what you all think of this.

Cheers,
David