[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Waldemar Kornewald wkornew at gmx.net
Wed Aug 2 16:30:24 CEST 2006

On 8/2/06, Tapio Markula <tapio.markula at dnainternet.net> wrote:
> agreed. Waldemar has some points to take account.
>
> 1) new way to create nested content elements - inside WYSIWYG links with
> icon into some embedded plugin.
>
> 2) new module to show page related files (if that not already exist)

3) Better default news/blog module (listed as "special element" or
separate "plugin"?).

4) Automatically display quick-add feature for items belonging to some
plugin (e.g.: news items). This should also work when the given plugin
retrieves its items from some other page (e.g.: news listing on front
page and archive page, but quick-add will always add to archive).

5) Create two different view modes: "simple" and "advanced" which are
available by default. The current default install (which I'm working
with ATM) doesn't have anything in that direction.

6) Center interface around the page tree, by default. For example, I
really like the generic idea behind this screenshot (posted by Andreas
Balzar):
http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-team-hci/attachments/20060521/d7f6f06b/attachment-0001.png
Instead of showing the different page view modes on the left we should
use tabs in the page section on the right, so the connection between
the page and its view modes becomes more apparent. I haven't read the
whole list archive, so I don't know which of my suggestions is a
duplicate...

7) When I click on "Filelist", by default, no folder is selected, so I
get an empty view. That's a little bit confusing. Could the filelist
please always open the root folder, by default (and not allow for
having no folder selected)?

8) Maybe in "Filelist" thumbnails should be displayed, by default?

> But for every page own folder like in plone - disagree.
> 1) 1000 folders if 1000 pages - huge quantity, if you want afterward
> look, what you have in the hard disk

Well, you only need to create those folders on-demand (when a file
actually exists).

Hmm, you mean that for extremely huge sites it can become difficult to
keep track of files? That might indeed be a problem...but for this
case it might be acceptable to install a module which simplifies the
page tree for file browsing or add a second page tree for storing
files, only (similar to the current file browser).
My biggest problem with the file browser concept is that you have to
manage a second folder tree. Those folders unfortunately aren't
created automatically for you and the page tree already represents a
nice tree of your site. Any suggestions how to fix this with a nicer
concept?

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald